Southern Voice seeks a creative and active Communications Officer to lead our communications and outreach strategy. Southern Voice is a network of 49 think tanks in Africa, Asia and Latin America that serves as an open platform to stimulate, generate and promote high-quality evidence-based analyses for the global dialogue on the Sustainable Development Goals.
The Secretariat is the central hub of the network. It is a nimble structure that leads the collective work of the network globally. The Secretariat is located in the Centre for Policy Dialogue, Dhaka. The team of the Secretariat works globally.
Southern Voice’s research programmes are targeted to national, regional and global audiences. The network will strengthen its communications strategy by innovating our website, blogs, newsletters, social media, printed publications, events, and policy dialogues.
The successful candidate will develop and implement strategies to grow Southern Voice’s relationships and positioning. The Communications Officer reports directly to the Director, and works closely with the rest of the staff in the Secretariat. The Communications Officer may oversee the work of other members of the communications and outreach team, as it grows.
Key functions and responsibilities
- Lead the implementation of Southern Voice’s internal and external communications strategy.
- Handle day-to-day internal and external communications activities in responsive and proactive way.
- Develop strategies for effective transmission and exchange between researchers, policymakers and other relevant stakeholders.
- Manage and develop communication partnership and networks of the Southern Voice.
- Foster new partnerships to increase outreach opportunities for the network.
- Develop strategies to maintain active communication channels among members, and develop a vibrant community of researchers.
- Support appropriate implementation of communication strategies of the members concerning SDG-related activities.
- Write and edit as necessary materials including news releases, blogs, etc.
- Lead the management of social media outlets, including Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Utilize all communications tools (web, social media, newsletter, events, existing partnerships) to position the experts of Southern Voice and their ideas and analysis.
- Manage the documentation of all Southern Voice publications
- Coordinate and manage the organisation of all Southern Voice Events
Knowledge and qualifications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in international development related field or communications and journalism.
- Be a mid-level professional with significant experience in communications in the research for development area.
- Ability to build and implement a communication strategy with global outreach.
- Knowledge of the global development coverage in traditional and non-traditional media.
- Exceptional writing and communication skills required. Clear and concise writing is a must.
- Excellent drafting skill in English.
- Being fluent in Spanish and/or French is desirable.
- Ability to understand complex research and synthesise it into clear and concise oral and written communications, including for social media.
- Ability to build, in collaboration with other experts, effective messages that resonate with Southern Voice audiences.
- Must be a creative and enthusiastic team player, able to work independently with a global team that is remote and able to manage multiple areas of work simultaneously.
- Must be very proactive, confident and ready to take the lead, propose creative ideas to position Southern Voice.
- Experience with think tanks, the development policy community, or international relations preferred.
How to apply
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please use “Communications Officer” in the subject line of email correspondence. We encourage early application (before February 1st), as we will be reviewing candidates on a rolling basis.