The Center for Strategic Development is an independent institution established by decree of the Council of Ministers. The vision of the CSD is to be Saudi Arabia’s premier economic think tank. As such, the institution is envisioned to oversee the following nine strands of work:
- Economic modelling
- Housing and maintaining the Decision Support Dashboard: converting data into useful information for decision makers and practitioners
- Policy research, analysis, design, and recommendation
- Housing and running the Knowledge Center
- Providing consulting services to Ministry of Economy and Planning, other government institutions, and external clients
- Forging partnerships with national, regional, and international policy think tanks and institutions as necessary to realize its mission
- Building and spinning off topic-specific think tanks as necessary to realize the center’s mission
- Building and housing the Behavioral Insights Unit “Nudge Unit”
- Developing and maintaining Saudi Arabia’s implementation road-map for realizing the economic growth objectives of Vision 2030 The position is based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
The Economic Analyst will analyze models and simulations as part of the Economic Modeling and Research Unit. The Economic Analyst will assist in model maintenance, and report on simulation results and the socio-political implications of economic policy.
Key roles and responsibilities
Prepare & run economic simulations
- Collaborate with unit and Economic Modeling Manager to decide on the scope of simulations.
- Set perimeters of models on 5 year basis.
- Define variables for the simulations.
- Run solicited and unsolicited simulations.
- Refine modeling requests from government partners.
- Prepare data to be used for simulations and set up assumptions.
- Run simulations in collaboration with modeling team.
- Run sensitivity analysis and identify key parameters
Produce Economic reports
- Analyze results of simulations.
- Assess economic and socio-economic issues, priorities, opportunities and threats (using additional research if necessary) in line with needs of Strategic Consulting unit and Executive Committee.
- Produce reports for stakeholders, and MEP leadership (Board of Directors).
- Record and file reports and findings.
- Collaborate with Knowledge Center on cataloging data and guaranteeing confidentiality of certain simulations.
- Sanitize reports to be sold to private sector.
Develop and maintain network and talent pool
- Recruit and network with econometricians in both KSA and international regions (with help of HR Director).
- Build a global network of econometricians to contract.
- Grow an in-house talent pool of econometricians through internships, trainings, university partnerships etc.
- Ensure productive relationships with experts, economists, and econometricians.
Background & experience
- Graduate degree in Economics with coursework in modeling (other degree options include statistics and mathematics).
- 5 years’ experience in econometric-related positions.
- Profound knowledge of statistical software, in particular STATA.
- Knowledge of panel data & empirical IO (industrial organization).
- Previous experience building models to address government policies.
- Familiarity with the Saudi economic context.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is a must.
Competencies and Skills
- Strong analytical skills.
- Expertise in a variety of economic analytical methods and modeling.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a flexible team setting.
- Deep understanding of research methods, economics and public policy.
- Solid knowledge and proficiency of MS Office Suite tools.
Type of contract